This is our go-to recipe when we want burgers. They are our favorite! Even my two-year old likes them. :)
* 1 egg, slightly beaten
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
* 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
* 2 tablespoons ketchup
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 pound lean ground beef
* Nonstick cooking spray
* 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
* Fresh basil leaves (optional)
* 4 tomato slices
1. In a medium bowl combine egg, onion, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, snipped basil, ketchup, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape meat mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
2. Lightly coat a heavy skillet with cooking spray (or use a heavy nonstick skillet). Preheat skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add patties. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until temperature registers 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, turning meat once halfway through cooking. If meat browns too quickly, reduce heat to medium-low. Serve patties on buns with basil leaves, if desired, and tomato slices.
Makes 4 sandwiches
Compliments of bhg.com.