Sunday, May 29, 2011

Homemade Enchilada Sauce & Enchiladas

Canned enchilada sauce is expensive where I live, so I had to find another option. I tried this recipe and fell. in. love. I don't think I'd buy canned again even if it was practical. This stuff is that good and it really isn't hard to make. The recipe is from favfamilyrecipes.com.

Enchilada Sauce:
3 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp flour
¼ c. chili powder (yes, you really use that much)
1 Tbsp. cumin

Stir in saucepan on low heat until bubbly, then add:

2 c. beef broth
2. c. tomato sauce
½ tsp. oregano
1 clove minced garlic
salt, to taste

Simmer for 15 min over low heat stirring occasionally.

Use with your favorite enchilada recipe or you can try the one on favfamilyrecipes.com.

Personally I like this variety (I kind of just throw things in, so add or take out what you'd like):
4 cooked, cubed chicken breasts
Small can olives
1 can green chilies
1 large or 2 medium boiled and diced potatoes (love me some potatoes in my enchiladas!)
1/2 c. sour cream
Cheese
1 c. enchilada sauce

Mix all ingredients.

18 corn or flour tortilla shells

Drizzle bottom of 9x13 with enchilada sauce, add filling to tortillas and roll up like burrito, place in pan, cover with the rest of the sauce, top with cheese. Bake at 350 ° F for about 25 minutes.

No comments: