Friday, August 27, 2010

Hidden Valley Ranch

Now I know this is not a restaurant copy cat, but it is a copy cat of sorts, so I'm posting it.

Ever wanted some ranch dressing only to find that you were out of the packets of powder? It's the worst! As a ranch eating family, we run in to this problem a lot. I hate premade ranch (gag), but I never seem to have enough powder in my pantry for more. I constantly underestimate how much of it we actually eat.

After much experimentation, I think I have finally found a way to make it at home with spices you have in your cabinet. Amazing, right? I know. You're welcome.

2 saltine crackers
1/4 c dried parsley flakes
2T minced onion (dried)
1 1/3 t dill weed
1 T onion salt
1 T onion powder
1 T garlic salt
1 T garlic powder
black pepper to taste (I like a lot)

Mix it all up in a food processor and store in an airtight container.

Mix 1 1/8 t with 1 c buttermilk.

*This will not work in use of recipes that use just the powder, as there are no buttermilk solids that give ranch its distinct flavor. It only tastes right when it's mixed with the buttermilk. But it makes a great dressing!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Hmmmm... even though you say it won't work without the buttermilk, I think I will use it to season the chicken in the CPK (yes, I do that to taunt you) recipe as ranch is hard to come by and/or expensive here. Thank you; I was wondering what I was going to do about that!!

Shannon said...

Oh I'm so glad I could help. I bet if you also marinated the chicken in milk and vinegar (1c milk plus 2 T white vinegar makes a great buttermilk substitute), or even dry milk and vinegar, you could get the same effect just fine. I've never tried it, but I'm sure it will be an okay substitute.