Friday, August 27, 2010

Winger's Sauce

I could drink this stuff. When I was pregnant with baby #2, this is all I wanted morning, noon, and night. If you've never eaten at wingers, get to one QUICK! Or make this yourself.

2 1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar
3 T light corn syrup
1/3 c Frank's red hot
1 T apple cider vinegar
1/2 c hot water

Place brown sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan and melt over medium heat until boiling. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly - it will burn, and quickly! Add hot water, pepper sauce, and vinegar. Stir all ingredients well and continue cooking at a low boil, stirring often until reduced to a syrupy consistency (about 15 minutes).

The sauce will thicken considerably as it cools.

Okay, I hestitate in posting this part, but if you don't have all this stuff in your pantry or you just don't have the time to do the full recipe above, you can get by with the following. But I warn you, it is not the same! Nor does it have anywhere near the right consistency. But, it is a good quick susbtitute if you're in a pinch:

1 c brown sugar
1 c frank's red hot

Mix, bring it to a boil, and let it cool.

Easy peasy, but not as good as the first.

Wingers uses this on all their wings (fry wings and toss them in the sauce directly out of the fryer). But it's also great on top of burgers, or as a dipping sauce for, well, really anything. Especially cheese quesadillas. And especially especially if you mix it with ranch dip. Yum.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I think that while you are on a roll with the sauces/dips, you ought to post Delux Burger's aioli. Have you perfected it yet? Last night I remembered I never wrote down the ingredients the guy told me and now I can't remember them! Do you? You could just email me if you don't want to post it. :)

PS what is Frank's red hot? Pretty sure I can't get that here. Is there a substitute for THAT??

Shannon said...

I didn't either!!!!! Ahhhhhhh!!! I'll get to work on that, and then I'll let you know.

Frank's red hot is a vinegar based hot sauce (like louisianna). It tastes like buffalo wings. I have no idea if there is a good substitute. There is a chance you could do the chili paste that they use over there and use some combination of that and vinegar (among other things) but I would have no idea what the ratio would be. I may actually experiment a bit to figure that one out.