Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Datenut Pinwheels

These have always been one of my favorites at Christmas time. I realize the dates might scare you off if you've never had anything with dates (I haven't had anything else with dates so I am not sure how they are in other things) but these are great. I've had them every year since I can remember and as I said above, they're one of my very favorites!


Mix thoroughly:

½ c shortening
1c brown sugar
1 egg
½ tsp vanilla

Add:
1 ¾ c flour
½ tsp baking soda

Divide dough into 2 equal parts.
Tear off a piece of wax paper for each half. Roll each piece on top of the wax paper into rectangle 11 in x 7 in. (you will be rolling the dough up in the wax paper so don't skip this)

For the Filling, cook ingredients below in a saucepan until thickened, stirring constantly:

¾ lb moist pitted dates cut up (I get the already cut dates that come in a purple box, way
easier than trying to cut sticky dates!)
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c water

Once thickened, stir in:
1/2 c finely chopped nuts (I like pecans)

It will look like this when thickened:


Spread 1/2 of the filling on each dough piece and spread out. Roll up the dough.



Next roll the wax paper around the dough to enclose it. Twist ends of wax paper and refrigerate for several hours.


Heat oven to 400 and cut into 1/4" slices.
Place on lightly greased baking sheet and bake 10 minutes or until lightly golden.


You can bake as many as you want and store the rest in the wax paper. It also freezes very well in the wax paper.

No comments: